Brisbane – Services – Working In Australia

Can I work in Australia?

You must have the correct visa to work in Australia. You will also need a tax file number.

Student Visa
If you are a student visa holder, you are able to apply to work in paid employment for a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight, during your course of study. You will automatically receive permission to work with your visa grant. This will apply to you and to any family members travelling with you on your visa.

Before you can start work you will need to obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) from the Australian Taxation Office (Level 1, 140 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane) or online at:

Working Holiday Visa
If you are on a working holiday visa, you may work in Australia for a maximum of six months with any one employer. You will require a Tax File Number (TFN).

Tourist visa
If you are on a tourist visa, you are not permitted to work in Australia.

Finding work
Most students work in supermarkets, restaurants and shops. Job advertisements can be found in major newspapers or free local papers, and online job sites.

Please note that you are not likely to find a job until your English level is at 104 (Intermediate level).

Useful websites

Jobguide – details about different occupations. It is helpful for confirming job descriptions in Australia.
Seek – major online job search website
MyCareer – major online job search