COMPREHENSIVE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS: TEFL CERTIFICATION
Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language
ELS offers both 4-week (120 hour) and 2-week (60 hour) TEFL certification course that prepare native and non-native English speakers, either with or without prior teaching experience, to teach English both in the United States and overseas. Both courses, conducted in partnership with Via Lingua, feature workshops on teaching skills and language awareness. There is a strong focus on learning the fundamentals of grammar and using context to effectively teach grammar. The 120-hour certificate program includes peer-teaching, six hours of observed and assessed teaching practice, and job guidance.
The program is located in two U.S. locations: St. Petersburg, Florida, and Boston, Massachusetts. Candidates interested in taking the TEFL Certification course must be at least 21 years of age, hold a minimum of an Associate’s Degree*, be able to demonstrate both written and oral competence in English sufficient for study in higher education and, if a nonnative English speaker, have a TOEFL® score of 85 or IELTS™ band of 6.5.
*In certain circumstances, non-degree holders will be considered for a place in the program if their qualifications and/or experience are regarded as being equivalent to the
demands of a degree.
What sets ELS Apart?
- On-site, face-to-face: You will learn in a classroom setting from certified trainers with years of experience.
- Student-centered: You will receive personal and individualized attention in the classroom.
- Teacher Training: Because your course will be conducted at an ELS location – either in St. Petersburg, Florida, or in Boston, Massachusetts – you will have ample opportunity to meet students of diverse populations and gain real teaching experience in classrooms of EFL learners, much like the students you will be qualified to teach when you complete your course.
- Cross-cultural component: You will learn vital concepts and strategic skills needed to live and teach effectively abroad. This awareness will empower you to appreciate the similarities and differences between your culture and others and be more effective as a teacher.
- Earn graduate-level credits: Graduates of the ELS TEFL Certification program can receive up to six graduate credits towards MA TESOL programs with our partner institutions: Hamline University (St. Paul, MN); St. Michael’s College (Burlington, VT); Alliant International University (San Diego, CA); Oklahoma City University; Southern New Hampshire University (Manchester, NH); and Dominican University (River Forest, IL).
- Job guidance: The Via Lingua job guidance program assists all successful graduates of our TEFL course in finding a TEFL teaching position. 85% of our graduates have already found a job by the time they complete their course.